Thursday, February 18

and i had the best day...

I seem to have hit the traditional winter slump. I am so over winter, over the cold, over being in Omaha, but most of all over this snow and cloudy days. I want sunshine, clear skies, green grass and most importantly temperature over 32 degrees. But this was probably the best week of my semester so far- if for no other reason than the fact that I got to observe a surgery!
Now, I've been waiting to see a surgery pretty much since I walked in the doors of my first class freshman year. (That might be a little bit of an exaggeration) But really, I have been impatiently waiting to see a surgery for what feels like an eternity! And let me tell you, I was completely blown away. I had the chance to observe a complete abdominal hysterectomy, meaning that it wasn't done by scope, there was an actual abdominal incision.

And wow, that's really all I have to say about the whole experience. I've never really wanted to be a doctor, it's never really appealed to me, but this experience has the power to make me reconsider. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out becoming a scrub nurse/circulating nurse because they don't really do much, the surgeons are the ones that get to all the cool stuff. The surgeons get to deal with all the blood and guts, they get to cut people open then stitch them right back up. SO COOL. I can't even begin to describe the awe that I felt as I was standing there watching this surgery occur, I wish I could have paused the surgery and just stood there for a little bit longer.

Granted, this wasn't open heart surgery, but nevertheless it was still amazing. Just the simple fact to me that one day someone decided it would be a good idea to cut a patient open to try and cure their disease amazes me- who would think of something like that? But I guess that's the whole thing with medicine, it's all so amazing that 100 years ago half the stuff we do now wasn't even invented yet.

I mean wow, that just make you take a step back and think about things a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment